Today antivirus software cannot provide overall security to your system. Antimalware scanners grow inaccurate, particularly when it faces malicious programs less than one day old. It takes hackers a few bytes to swap in order to make a previously recognized malicious program absolutely unrecognizable.
Under these circumstances computer users should get more informed about web security and start with learning several simple signs indicating system compromise and knowing some basic preventive measures.
Here are they
1. Fake antivirus messages tend to be the surest signs of your system’s compromise and often it’s too late to reverse the damage as the malware has already made its use of your unpatched software. If you see one, power the computer down as soon as possible and run a complete antivirus scanning.
2. Seeing unwanted toolbars in your browser is another common exploitation sign. If you happen to notice such, review active and installed toolbars at once and dump very suspicious toolbar unless it is from a vendor you trust.
3. Many hackers make money on redirecting your browser to other places than you want because they are paid by your clicks appearing on somebody’s website. If you notice redirected Internet searches, try clearing the bogus toolbars again.
4. If you get some random pop-ups in your browser from websites which normally generate none of them, the system has probably been compromised and you’ve got to remove bogus programs and toolbars too.
5. It’s a common practice nowadays when friends get fake emails from us. A decade ago such virus attachments were raging while today hackers often pull contact lists from our social accounts. In case friends report bogus emails from you, run a complete computer scanning and uninstall unwanted programs and toolbars.
6. If any of your online passwords changed suddenly, you or the online service have most likely been hacked. In this case notify all your web contacts about your account compromise and change the passwords immediately.
7. Another significant sign of a hacked computer system is unexpected or unwanted software installs. This time use one of the programs, like Autoruns for Windows, able to display all the installed programs and disable them selectively. Disable the unrecognized ones and reboot the PC.
8. If your mouse starts moving against your will and select working options, not randomly but intently, the computer is hacked and you need an expert. Watch their actions to define their goal for a while and shut the system down. The best you can do is immediately change passwords and logon names of your every important account.
9. In case you’ve faced such a huge sign of virus attack as your antimalware software’s denial to restart or enable, the only possible way is to perform a full restore because there’s no way to tell for sure what happened.
10. If you’ve noticed that your bank account lacks a large sum of money, then you’ve got another reason to worry about being hacked. In most cases banks restore you the loss, but not always. So make sure to turn on text transaction alerts to be notified if something like this happens beforehand.
11. If the worst happens and you receive a call notifying that you’ve failed to pay for shipped goods, it would mean that hackers have made use of your bank account and purchased and shipped something to other place than your house. To stop the criminals and get them pay, first change your passwords and logon names, call law enforcement, start a case and monitor your credit. You still have a chance to set things right if you react quickly.
Since we cannot rely fully on antimalware programs, we need to keep an eye on our computers and watch out for the common symptoms of computer compromise. It’s recommended to do a full restore of your computer system at such times because once hacked, the system cannot be completely trusted again. You can use software security testing to avoid your computer systems from being an object if illegal entry.
Check out our related articles:
- .NET Development
- Banking & Finance
- Communities & Social networks
- Custom App Development
- Development process
- Digital Marketing
- Drupal Development
- E-commerce & Retail
Best Frontend Programming Languages to Create Beautiful and Fast InterfacesRead more
Capability Maturity Model Integration – QArea's big journeyRead more
QArea is a Unique Services Provider in 2019 CEE AwardsRead more
Ultimate Development Trends in 2018 to Reward Your Business in 2019Read more
Why You Should Write Your Next Microservice Using GolangRead more
The Most In-Demand Backend Programming Languages of 2019Read more