Who said programming cannot be fun, or wacky, or crazy? Who said you can’t program with sonnets of Shakespeare? Yes you can, and here is a fine list of most bizarre, intriguing or entertaining programming languages the world has to offer!
- Chef. This language was designed in 2002 by David Morgan-Mar. Programs written in this language look like delicious recipes for cooking. All variables are named after known and often used foods, while stacks are “mixing bowls” or, sometimes, “baking dishes” and manipulators are nothing less than “stir”, “mix” and stuff like that. Yummy!
- Omgrolf. Ever wanted to write software with meme words or weird internet catchphrases? Thanks to Juraj Borza you now have a chance. This is an esoteric programming language that was inspired with slang words. Variables here come as the word ‘lol’ but differ in size (lool, loool, etc.). You define the variable yourself (lol iz 7, etc.).So, get ready for your code to look like
wtf lol iz 1 lmao lol. Sounds like fun to me.
- Velato. Code with music: MIDI files are used as source code for Velato. Program is defined by the order of notes. You can become Beethoven of programming, Bach of code, Vivaldi of IT! Or, you can at least give it a try when there’s some time to spare. By the way, no matter what I did, things turned out as Jazz and I have no idea why? Share your experience in the comments.
- Whitespace is a truly remarkable language. It only uses whitespace characteristics like tabs and spaces as syntax and only they have meaning. This looks like the very opposite to more traditional languages where such spaces are pointless. Sounds weird and useless? Well, any Whitespace programs can be contained within whitespaces of software written in any other language.
- Shakespeare. This gem, created by Jon Aslund’s and Karl Hasselstrom’s shared efforts ensures your programming looks like a play by William Shakespeare himself. Code is broken into acts and scenes where variables (Characters like Hamlet or Romeo) interact with each other. Coding becomes much more interesting when there is drama involved in the action!
Did you enjoy our list? Please share your thoughts through the comments!
- .NET Development
- Banking & Finance
- Communities & Social networks
- Custom App Development
- Development process
- Digital Marketing
- Drupal Development
- E-commerce & Retail