Once upon a time in a galaxy far away… that is not how the story started for John Estevez and his small taxi company. If we are to tell you the moral, we need to explain how John left the “green” zone and faced various obstacles on his way to success.
Green is the color all Android developers love, it’s the color of that small little robot who is supposedly in charge of things that happen inside any Android device. Green is also the color of freshness, youth, and often irresponsibility.
Why is this so important? That’s where John found himself a couple years ago, surrounded by green colors.
In modern days, a taxi company can’t compete without proper exposure and tools provided to customers. Some tools come in the form of an application for handheld devices. When John realized that he needed such a tool, he started to search for some capable developers.
He met them. A cheap team of young professionals, who promised to solve all of his problems.
Project iterations followed one after another. John truly liked every single one of them. The project looked great, both on paper and in reality. Then an issue arose.
It turned out that said team of young professionals didn’t have a business analyst and never provided sufficient information about the market. Some research revealed that the vast majority of John’s clients used Apple devices: iPhones and iPads.
The Green Gets Darker
iPhone app development cost varies depending on the team. In a few cases, a developer simply doesn’t know how to bring the application from Android to iOS. John faced the harsh reality: the people he had hired were not on the same level as true professionals.
- The team never tried to help John to solve his problem. They knew their limits and yet they never revealed them to the client.
- The team lacked some key professionals. A developer nowadays must know how to create cross-platform applications or migrate from one platform to another.
John soon realized that if he wanted his application to become the tool he had dreamed of, he needed to hire iPhone developers who could simply adapt the application for iOS devices. Here is the problem: good iPhone developers are hard to find… Specialists who know the differences between two systems are rare beasts. Let’s sum up some core differences:
- Programming languages. The core difference between Android and iOS. The first uses Java. Java creators brag about 3 billion mobile devices using this language. The latter prefers Objective C and the newest gem – Swift. Many developers consider Swift to be easier to learn and use.
- Using and transferring data. In Android, data must be attached as parcelable or serializable. In iOS, data is stored in controllers and is easier to manipulate. The concepts are different.
- Layout. The Autolayout tool is considered to be a bit more confusing compared to Android XML layout. Some iPhone app developers use XML layout from time to time.
- IDE. Android Studio offers a whole lot of various tools. At the same time, XCode is much younger and may look way too complicated for a newbie. Many amateur Android developers fail to adapt to XCode and give up at some point.
There are more differences and nuances. John never knew about them. He just wanted his clients to conveniently use an application and order his cabs more often. He needed a helping hand from a specialist. Not a green developer, but a mature professional with years of experience behind him.
John wasted additional funds and quite some time in order to find such a specialist. He wanted to save a dime and to find the cheapest team possible. Needless to say, greed and high hopes led him to poor results. He met two more irresponsible developers, before he finally realized that he must think of his application as an investment.
A Sign of a True Professional
Many developers nowadays are freelancers. They skew the market balance and often make it hard for customers to find the right developer. It often creates a negative image of the industry. In reality, many professional teams are more than competent when it comes to porting an existing Android application to iOS. You just need to search and be generous.
So what does a team of professionals look like?
- In a great team there are various specialists with some exquisite skills. Business analysts, UI/UX engineers, designers, managers, and others. Such a team covers multiple business and development processes at once. It becomes expensive.
- Each professional knows a lot about development and can apply his skills to any related task. It also means that true professionals are always ready to learn new things. Knowing how to work in both Android and iOS environments is imperative for a successful developer.
- True professionals are experienced. Having experience allows developers to give proper estimations, promise achievable results, and work faster.
Did John find a likewise team of professionals? Yes, he did. He was involved in each step of development.
Together they made a roadmap and selected key features of the application that needed to be implemented in the iOS version. John immediately saw the difference. Small details like knowing how to work with both listview in Android and tableview in iOS. After a short while, John had a very well made iOS application at his disposal. He got the results he wanted: customers enjoyed this new tool. In the end, he spent a considerable amount of money for a worthy result.
What is the moral of the story? Do not be deceived by green colors. Choose professionalism over low price. Hire iPhone developers who know their stuff.
- .NET Development
- Banking & Finance
- Communities & Social networks
- Custom App Development
- Development process
- Digital Marketing
- Drupal Development
- E-commerce & Retail
- IT Blog
- IT News
- IT Outsourcing
- Java Development
- Media & Entertainment
- Medicine & Healthcare
- Product engineering
- Project & Resources planning
- QArea inside
- Software Testing
- Start-up Development
- Technology & Innovation
- Travel & Hospitality
- Useful Tips
- Web Design
Best Frontend Programming Languages to Create Beautiful and Fast InterfacesRead more
Capability Maturity Model Integration – QArea's big journeyRead more
QArea is a Unique Services Provider in 2019 CEE AwardsRead more
Ultimate Development Trends in 2018 to Reward Your Business in 2019Read more
Why You Should Write Your Next Microservice Using GolangRead more
7 Reasons to Truly Love MicroservicesRead more
The Best Languages for MicroservicesRead more
QArea's Year: Summing Up 2018Read more